| Acrylic | | Epoxy | | Hybridpolymers | | Silicone | | Wax |





Canterbury Cathedral



SXXVIII, or The Great South Window, is one of the largest in the cathedral and contains some of the oldest panels. The window contains twenty-two of the surviving Ancestors of Christ in the main lights, which were moved from their original locations in the quire clerestory and from the Trinity chapel in the 18th Century. Only the heads/canopies and three tracery panels originally belong to this window.  The figure panels originate from the 12th Century with 15th Century heraldry while the tracery has an assembly of 12th, 13th, 19th and 20th century glass.



Panel D8 is the upper part of a tracery panel was probably made in 19th century (the lower half of this panel is made up of 12th century glass some replacements made in 1791) and painted to give the appearance of corrosion.
The outside and bottom edge leads were replaced in the 1970s conservation. At this time, a clear resin-like substance was applied to the entire back of the panel presumably as a consolidant / protective layer.


Panel C1 consists of modern glass (possibly early 20th century) acid–etched glass to resemble corroded pitted medieval glass on both sides. The glass is early 20th century that has been etched on both sides to resemble medieval corrosion. The panel was re-leaded in the 1970s conservation. At this time, a clear resin-like substance was applied to the entire back of the panel as well as over some of the trace lines on the front, presumably as a consolidant / protective layer.

The panel A16  has some medieval glass with later replacements that were probably added in 1792. Conservation work was carried out in 1975.  A polymer coating was applied to the external face of the panel.

The panel 8h depicts the upper half figure of Zorobabel. The panel dates to the 12th century with 19th and 20th century replacements. Several cracks have been bonded with silicone, probably during the 1976 conservation.
An externally ventilated protective glazing system was installed during the 1975-78 conservation of the window.
In the tracery the original stained glass panels sit in the groove and the protective glazing panels are installed to the outside, attached to the stained glass with lead brackets. The protective glazing panels are made from machine made antique glass. The interspace between the protective glazing and the stained glass is approximately 20 mm.

More information about the window is available in the Object-Data by Constglass FhG ISC (SXXVIII panel D8,
SXXVIII panel C1, SXXVIII panel A16, SXXVIII panel 8h).
A short description about scientific investigations can be reached directly: panel D8, panel C1, panel A16 and panel 8h.

Picture Gallery:





panel D8

panel C1

panel A16

panel 8h