The Burrell Collection south-facing, daylit gallery where most of the panels on display are located.
The stained glass of the Burrell Collection in Glasgow comprises the world’s third largest museum collection of its kind. The total holdings consist of some 700 panels, dating from the 12th to the 19th century, primarily from England, France, Germany and Switzerland. Prior to display of the glass in the new museum which houses this collection (Image 1), many of the stained glass panels were conserved using clear, water-white epoxy resins to bond broken fragments and reinstate small areas of loss. Where necessary, the epoxy resins were dyed to match the rich colours of medieval stained glass. Now, after more than 25 years display in either natural daylight or artificial light, these panels provide a rich resource for understanding the resin and dye aging behaviour both in natural and artificial illumination as well as in dark storage.
Princess Cecily (Burrell Collection, Glasgow. Reg. No. 45/75)
Canterbury Cathedral c.1483. This small rectangular panel, now part of the Burrell Collection was originally placed at the bottom of the Royal Window in the north-west transept of Canterbury Cathedral beside the
donor-portraits of her parents (Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville), her two brothers and four sisters, who
were alive when the window was being made. On 13 December 1643, following Ordinances issued in
parliament earlier that year, the window was razed to the ground. The Cecily panel survived and was
eventually purchased by Sir William Burrell. The panel was restored in 1975; the photographs, taken
in 2010, show the panel in its present condition.
More information about the window is available at Object-Data by Constglass FhG ISC. A short description about scientific investigations can be reached directly: here.