The circular opening in the stonework is divided by an iron armature. The composition is controlled by a process of continuous halving, whereby all the circular forms are centered on fixed points in a system of squares within large circles. The iconography consists of Moses and Synagogue, the cardinal virtues and various prophets. The palette consists of purple, green and white on a blue background, with sparing use of red and yellow.
The window dates to the 12th century with 19th century additions. During the 1980s a mix of microcrystalline
wax no: 1129 and polythene A wax (PVA) in an unknown ratio was applied in situ as treatment to flaking paint. The wax mixture was diluted with white spirit and applied with a brush onto uncleaned surfaces.
In 1992 panels C2 and 03 were re-leaded and conservation work was carried out. During this conservation flaking and unstable wax from this treatment were removed mechanically with scalpels, and Paraloid® B72 acrylic resin was applied to reconsolidate the paint. Areas of stable wax still remain on the surface of the
panel. In some areas this wax coating lies underneath the new Paraloid® B72 coating.
Panel C1 was used as a test panel for a pilot study on paint consolidation by the Fraunhofer
Institut Silicatforschung 1992. Three different consolidation materials have been used on separate glass
pieces within the panel: SZA, Ormocer/Paraloid® B72 1/1 and Paraloid® B72.
More information about the window is available in the Object-Data by Constglass FhG ISC (NXVII panel C1,
NXVII panel C2, NXVII panel 03).
A short description about scientific investigations is available by panel C1, panel C2 and panel 03.